Climbing stairs is good for you and here's ten reasons why:
- It's a really simple way to build short bursts of physical activity into your day.
- No waiting. Just think how much time you spend waiting for a slow lift especially during busy times.
- It can help you lose weight. You burn more calories per minute climbing stairs than jogging.
- You can use it as a way to take a break from your desk, which helps to relieve stress and cut down on tension.
- You’ll build up muscle and tone your legs. Ooh, and your bum will also get a good work out.
- Taking the stairs can be quicker. If you don’t believe us, test this out by timing your lift journey and comparing it to taking the stairs.
- Stair climbing is good for your heart. It’s a vigorous form of exercise, which makes it great for cardiovascular fitness.
- You’ll help to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions by not taking the lift.
- By regularly taking the stairs, you’ll be helping to improve your bone density. This is especially important for women.
- And the best bit of all. It's free.
So, there you go. There really aren’t any excuses. Climbing stairs is good for you, and now you know, why not help others in your building get the stair-climbing bug? You can start today by rating the stairs in your building and printing out smart posters for each floor. It only takes a moment and its free!
A big thanks for our inspiring staircase image (above) goes to Tarluche.