Grounded in behavioural economics, StepJockey is now live and ready for action. It means you can locate and rate any set of stairs in the world for calorie burn.
Whether it’s your own home, the Shard or the Eiffel Tower, you can now download a set of free 'smart' posters, which prominently display calorie burn and the other health benefits of taking the stairs, in minutes.
Working together, we hope to strengthen the hearts (and tone the legs) of office workers and commuters in cities around the world.
And, if helping your fellow work mates to keep fit is not a big enough incentive, here’s a few stair climbing facts to encourage and inspire:
- Stair climbing requires 8-9 times more energy expenditure than sitting and about 7 times more energy than taking a lift. Per minute, stair climbing burns more calories than jogging.
- You burn about 0.1 calories for every step you climb, so you burn roughly a calorie for every 10 upward steps.
- You also burn calories going down. Every stair descended burns about 0.05 calories, so you burn 1 calorie for every 20 steps down.
- Just 7 minutes stair climbing a day has been estimated to more than half the risk of a heart attack over 10 years
- And perhaps best of all, the heavier you are the more calories you burn when stair climbing.
Find out more about the health benefits of stair climbing.